Archives

Bloggers

• avatar

Adhwa Alahmadi

• avatar

Eman El Bakry

• avatar

Lindsay Chow

• avatar

Daniel Darmanin

• avatar

Silvia Fabian

• avatar

Vinicius Guerra

• avatar

Michelle Lau

• avatar

Nicole Lobo

• avatar

Ria Mehrotra

• avatar

James Stancliffe

• avatar

Nikhil Sequeira

• avatar

Andrea Sanchez

• avatar

Bernice Sitompul

• avatar

Tian Yan

First Chapter Over

Posted on: April 29th, 2014 by Vinicius Guerra

I can’t believe my Freshmen year is sadly coming to an end. Finals are just around the corner, and yet it doesn’t feel like it’s almost over. I’ve learned so much about myself these past ten months, through the many opportunities providedby Loyola. It is hard to narrow down the best memories of my first year, but I’ll talk about an experience that had a huge impact on me.

It all started when I got an invitation to participate in the Ramble to Seattle program with twelve other students from the Quinlan School of Business. Back then, I had no idea of how filling out that specific application form would transform my business perspective. The program consisted of bringing business students in to experience the real world working-atmosphere from a authentic standpoint. Moreover, I had no clue I was going to meet many extraordinary people who were the main reason that the trip would become even more enjoyable. I got really excited once I received an email back saying that I got accepted, and that I’d be spending my Spring Break visiting world-renowned companies in Seattle.

We all went to visit massive companies such as Amazon, Boeing, and Starbucks. After visiting DraftFCB, one of the biggest marketing groups in the world, I was inspired to learn more about careers in Marketing. Luckily, we also had the presence of a faculty member on our trip, Professor Stacy Neier. Just like the majority of Loyola faculty members, Professor Neier is really accessible and easy to reach out to. During the trip, she gave me advice about Marketing opportunities, and recommendations on which marketing classes I should take. Once I got back to Chicago I started registering for classes, and I picked an introductory marketing class forthe next fall semester. Fortunately, even though the class is extremely desirable by business students with few seats available, I was able to register for one of Professor Neier’s classes. Furthermore, as a result of the trip I decided to double major in Marketing and International Business. I can now say that I feel confident about my decision, knowing what I want to pursue and work with later on.

I experienced the real world! I had the chance to talk to professionals in almost every business field, from Costco’s CFO to DraftFCB’s marketing managers. I had the opportunity to ask them questions about anything, even curiosities about their career paths. This inside perspective really changed my notions of the business world, and I’m certainly more prepared for my business education.

All the great opportunities I talked about in this blog were provided through Loyola programs. They have helped shape who I am, guiding me to the right path. I can’t be more thankful for being part of an institution that not only values excellence, but that also cares about its students. Its been a ride, and I had the pleasure of learning so much from it.

1621872_10203289644023214_613294536_n