• April 2, 2015
  • 3:23 pm

Reading is Fundamental

reading1On Thursday, March 26, 2015,  Bateman Elementary welcomed  Loyola University Chicago’s Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority!  Reading is Fundamental, also known as RIF, is Kappa Kappa Gamma’s national philanthropy, designed to help promote literacy and to making reading fun. Their chapter hosted this event at Bateman and among other fun activities, 300 books were donated to our students. The women of Kappa Kappa Gamma led this event targeting  students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade.  Bateman has Alena Kane, current secondary education student at Loyola, to thank!  Alena was a student in a cohort held at Bateman this past Fall, 2014. Alena reached out to Bateman writing, “I have loved Bateman, and I think the teachers, teams, and attitude the whole staff has at the school is truly inspiring. I have never been at a school where every teacher is exemplary. When we [Kappa Kappa Gamma] started looking for a school, I immediately wanted to give back to Bateman for everything the teachers at this school have taught me this semester.”  Philanthropy Chairman for the Kappa Kappa Gamma Loyola Chicago chapter, Fran Homan, Alena Kane, and over 70 other members of this sorority, lead the students from activity to activity, making the event a fun learning experience.  Thank you Loyola University Chicago and the women of Kappa Kappa Gamma!