What It Means To Love Your Melon

Mission: get a hat on the head of every child with cancer in the United States. College campuses around the US are forming crews to help this mission become possible. But getting a stylish beanie isn’t the only perk to buying a hat! When you buy a hat, Love Your Melon gives one to a child with cancer! We had the honor to meet with Loyola University Chicago’s crew and got sit down and talk to the Crew Captain, Rabab Zaidi! Here’s what she had to say:

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.43.14 AM

CHICago Style: Tell the readers about yourself!

Rabab Zaidi : I’m a senior majoring in Econ and minoring in Bio on the pre-med track. I have been involved in organizations and activities like Women in Leadership Loyola, The PreMedLife Magazine, Global Brigades, and Pre-SOMA. I’m also serving as the Vice-President for the National Society of Collegiate Scholars,  and currently volunteering at the Hamdard Center for Health and Human Services.

CS: What are the other crew members involved in?

RZ: The rest of the LUC Crew is involved in some great things. Individuals on the Crew are majoring in everything from Education, to Finance. Our members are also active members of Greek life, while being part of other organizations ranging from the Pre-Dental Association, the Swimming Club, Future Teachers Club, Hands of Peace, and the Nursing Student Association.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.44.16 AM

CS: What is your role in the chapter of Love Your Melon?

RZ: As the Crew Captain for Love Your Melon, it is my responsibility to guide and oversee all meetings and events. I am also is in charge of overseeing donation events, superhero adventures and household visits, running Crew meetings and managing Crew Members. Of course, none of this can be possible without the hardworking and dedicated Executive Board.

CS: What is Love Your Melon and why should the Loyola community support it?

RZ: Love Your Melon is an apparel brand run by college students across the country on a mission to give a hat to every child battling cancer in America. All of the hats are donated in person at hospitals nationally by Love Your Melon College ambassadors dressed as superheroes. Love Your Melon has recently partnered up with two non-profit organizations, where half of the net proceeds collected from apparel sales will be donated directly to Cure Search and The Pinky Swear Foundation. CureSearch is a national non-profit organization which works to end childhood cancer by driving innovative research. The Pinky Swear Foundation is passionately committed to helping children with cancer and their families by responding to the immediate crisis facing families with a childhood cancer diagnosis.

Having the opportunity to create connections with the families and children on a personal level is undoubtedly amazing. The superheroes battling cancer need more than just medicine, and our 400 Crews across the nation make sure that these children and their families know we stand in solidarity with them through their battle.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.43.43 AM

CS: Why did you personally get involved with Love Your Melon?

RZ: During my four years in high school, we lost too many incredible students to cancer. My interest in this field paired with my desire to make a difference in my community drew me towards Love Your Melon. I truly feel that the mission of the organization allows me to make an active difference in my community and in the lives of those who are truly so deserving.

CS: Do you have any upcoming events on campus?

RZ: Currently, our Community Outreach Chair, Joanna, is working on reaching out to a family for a household donation visit. These household visits allow our Crew Members to host a small experience at the home of the child. On February 20th, we are planning on taking a young girl battling Leukemia on a Superhero Adventure! This day will solely be dedicated to the amazing superhero who has remained so strong during her battle.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.44.47 AM

CS:What is your favorite product on Love Your Melon?  

RZ: My favorite Love Your Melon product would have to be my Orange Uncuffed Beanie! The beanie is extremely comfortable and warm, helping me survive the cold winters in Chicago!

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.42.26 AM

CS: How can the Loyola community give support and how can students get involved?

RZ: The Loyola Community can continue to support our mission by simply sharing the word and spreading the mission of Love Your Melon to their family and friends. They can support the LUC Crew by selecting our Crew upon checkout, allowing us to earn more opportunities to attend household and hospital donation events.

Students can get involved by joining our volunteer list! Our Crew is limited to 20 members, but, students who are interested can be placed on our waitlist. Students can visit our website at loveyourmelonluc.weebly.com to learn more.

CS: Anything else you would want us to include, promotions, events, etc?

RZ: For information about what our chapter is up to, feel free to check out our blog and social media accounts! Stay tuned for more coverage about our exciting donation events and exclusive interview with the B96! Radio Station.

Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 10.45.31 AM

Love ‘Love Your Melon’ as much as we do? Go check out the website and make sure to select Loyola University Chicago’s crew at checkout! (http://www.loveyourmelon.com/) And if you want the latest update on all things CHICago Style like our new Facebook page! Make sure to check in later this week for more!

Blog: http://loveyourmelonluc.weebly.com/

Facebook: Love Your Melon Loyola University Chicago Chapter

Instagram: @loveyourmelonluc

Twitter: @LYMLUC

15 thoughts on “What It Means To Love Your Melon

1. We’re happy you enjoyed it Mary! Thanks for reading! Make sure to check us out on instagram and twitter!!! @mychicagostyle and keep coming back for more posts like this!

2. Thanks Shannon, glad you enjoyed it! If you would like more CHICago Style follow us on Twitter and Instagram @mychicagostyle

3. You really should take part in a contest personally of the best blogs on the internet. I most certainly will recommend this page!

4. I’d have to check with you here. Which isn’t something I usually do! I get pleasure from reading a put up that can make people think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to remark!

5. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it,
    you might be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back someday.

I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!