How to Study in Style

Ever see people in the library, cafe, or lounge dressed comfy and you think ‘wow, I wish I could just relax in some sweats’. Or let’s say you see those cool, confident people dressed to the nines even when it is 1:00am and they are cramming for a test. Wish you could be both right? Here are some tips from students themselves on why they choose to study in style and how you can steal their ways.

CHICago Style teamed up with Study Buddy this past weekend to bring you some on campus interviews about studying in style and how it can lead you to be more successful, confident and productive.

WHERE YOU ARE STUDYING AND WHAT ARE YOU STUDYING?

Sarah: “I am studying on the second floor of the IC because the tables allow me to spread out my stuff and it helps me focus where everyone else is focusing. I am studying for my French 103 midterm.”

Evelyn: “Well right now I’m on the first floor of the IC because I was working on a group project for my PR writing class.”

Erin: “I am in the Cudahy library studying for a marketing exam, I like the tables here because my friends and I can all sit together and lay out our stuff and my apartment is too distracting.”

Fact: Depending on what one is studying they may feel more comfortable and confident in different apparel. Knowing where you are and what task are ahead of you may influence what you want to wear.

_MG_7369

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO STUDY IN WHAT YOU ARE WEARING?

Sarah: “I wear leggings and a comfortable shirt because it allows me to sit comfortably and not focus on what I am wearing.”

Evelyn: “I like to be comfortable and I never know what the temperature is going to be so I wear multiple layers.”

Erin: “Well I came right from class and work so I just wore the same thing all day. I dress in layers in the IC because I never know what temperature it is going to be.”

Fact: Being comfortable when studying is key to your productivity. If you aren’t comfortable in jeans, don’t wear them. You don’t want to focus on what you are wearing more than what you are studying for. Also, studying when your body is at a colder temperature will keep you more alert and focused, so dress in layers when studying so you don’t get too warm.

_MG_7372 (2)

HOW MUCH TIME ARE YOU WILLING TO SPEND TO GET READY WHEN YOU ARE HEADING TO STUDY?

Sarah: “I think I would take about 20 extra minutes to get ready if I knew it would help me be productive.”

Evelyn: “If I knew it would make more productive probably about 10 minutes.”

Erin: “No longer than 10 minutes, but I would give it a try.”

Fact: Dressing up a little to increase productivity doesn’t have to take more than 5 minutes! Put on some nice earrings, a statement necklace or bracelet or just change out your sneakers for booties. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time, just something that took a little thought and effort can go a long way for your productivity.

_MG_7374

DO YOU FEEL LIKE WEARING A NICER OUTFIT WOULD MAKE YOU MORE

PRODUCTIVE?

Sarah: “I think so, if there’s research that wearing jeans makes me more productive I will try it.”

Evelyn: “I would try it for sure!”

Erin: “I mean I think it already does. I would never come to the IC in my sweatpants because I would just fall asleep and never get anything done. But I don’t come wearing dress pants because they are uncomfortable.”

Fact: Dressing confidently and in your own style, will make you most productive. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a skirt, and it could be a cute pair of sweatpants. What you need to wear is something that makes you feel good and something you put at least a few minutes into thinking through. Rock your own style and you will be as productive as possible.

Be sure to tell us how you like to dress when studying using the hashtag #ShowUsYourCHIC ! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

One thought on “How to Study in Style