About the Center

The Center for Comparative Education in the School of Education at Loyola University Chicago is an interdisciplinary research center dedicated to bringing a global perspective to the study of educational policy and practice.

Webinar Recording January 2012

Posted on: February 2nd, 2012 by Noah W. Sobe 1 Comment

Please click on the above image to access a recording of the January 31, 2012 webinar “Ethnography and the Research Agenda for Studying Globalization and Education” co-sponsored by the CIES Globalization & Education SIG and the Center for Comparative Education at Loyola University Chicago.

Please feel free to add comments in the space below.  (To guard against spam and abuse comments will be moderated so please allow 24-48 hours for your comment to appear.)

In Spring 2012 several guest bloggers contributed entries to the CCE blog on the issues discussed during this webinar.

Please see the following entries:

Webinar Powerpoints and List of References

Is it really possible to study up?

February 10th, 2012 **This guest blog entry was written by Kathryn Anderson-Levitt (UCLA)** During our January 31 webinar on “Ethnography and the Research Agenda for Studying Globalization and Education,” I argued that some of us should use ethnographic methods to study the construction of global culture…

How much time does ethnography take?

February 10th, 2012 ** This guest blog entry was written by Kathryn Anderson-Levitt (UCLA) ** During the January 31 Webinar participants typed in lots of probing questions, many more than we could address on the spot. One set of questions addressed ethnography and the time crunch…

The Worldwide Education Revolution

February 10th, 2012 ** By Noah W. Sobe ** At one moment in the recent CCE / G&E SIG webinar Prof. Anderson-Levitt made mention of Guy Vincent’s work on the notion of the forme scolaire and the finding that increasingly — at least in middle class homes in certain cultural settings — parents seem to be more and more interacting with their children in ….

One Response

1. avatar Anselmo Paolone says:

I followed the webinar with great interest as it helped me in my effort to spread contemporary educational ethnography in Italy. In my work, I try to mediate between the idiosyncratic tradition of this country, which is mainly philosophical and historical and is somehow late in catching up with other human sciences, and the global debate on educational ethnography. Furthermore, there is my personal project of understanding the intertwining of some aspects of the latter with comparative education (Paolone, A.R., Educazione comparata e etnografia tra globalizzazione e postmodernità, Roma, Monolite, 2009).

In my mind the strength of this webinar is that it brought together three different perspectives on ethnography. The general, more philosophical questions of Anderson-Leavitt, Carney’s contamination with some themes of contemporary political sciences (Hartd and Negri, which for obvious reasons has had an impact in Italy) and specific, intriguing questions on the study of youth, and the considerations of Robertson, which seem to me more rooted in the anthropological tradition I know.

While I was listening to the introductory speeches, multiple questions were rising in my mind, but then the possibility of interacting with the speakers and the listeners (I know some of them and I am sure many others are very interesting persons) was somehow limited by a very slow reactivity of my keyboard (it took ten minutes to type a short question). Then I realised I had overrated the technological vest, which may give the illusion of omnipotent communication, and I did reset my expectations. It was a terrific experience anyway. I downloaded the reference list and the presentation (very useful) and look forward to the next installment!

Anselmo R. Paolone
    University of Udine, Italy