- October 26, 2013
- 4:49 pm
- Konstantin Läufer
Loyola Chicago Computer Science Fall 2013 Update
This is an overdue micro-newsletter issue to get everybody up to speed on a number of noteworthy items from the department.
Please join me in…
- …congratulating Dr. Catherine Putonti on her promotion to rank Associate Professor with tenure in the departments of Biology and Computer Science.
- …welcoming Dr. Mark Albert, who joined us this academic year as a full-time Assistant Professor and director of the new Pervasive Ambient Computing and Theoretical Neuroscience labs. Mark received a PhD in computational biology from Cornell University and was a postdoctoral research associate at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, where he maintains his affiliations as an adjunct faculty member in the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Northwestern University.
- …welcoming distinguished alumni Ms. María Sáenz (BS/MS Software Technology 2008) and Mr. Guy Bevente (BSCS 1986), who joined us this year as new part-time faculty.
María was a 2006 NSF REU recipient working on integrating web services with bioPython. Skilled in advancing scripting, data mining, and GUI creation on several platforms, she has worked on several teams in high frequency trading. She currently works as a Technical Support Engineer at a leading trading firm downtown.
Guy is passionate about bringing his 27 years of industry experience into the classroom. He is currently an Assistant Vice President of IT for Consumer Systems at AT&T and held similar positions during the transition at predecessors SBC and Ameritech. Guy also holds an MBA from the Keller Graduate School of Management.
- …congratulating Dr. George K. Thiruvathukal on his appointment as Fellow of the Center for Interdisciplinary Thinking in the College of Arts and Sciences and subsequent election to the Lead Fellow role.
- The new BS/MS program allow an undergrad major to complete the BS and MS efficiently within five years and with three courses less than the BS and MS separately. You can mix any of our three MS programs with any of the undergraduate majors associated with the Computer Science Department, including Bioinformatics and the joint degrees with Physics or Math.
In the News
- George K. Thiruvathukal was interviewed and quoted by Charles Orton-Jones in the Times article Look Out – Machines are Developing a Sense of Humor (online version) and in the Telegraph article Google Glass: the next big gaming platform?
via Tumblr http://blog.cs.luc.edu/post/65169711079