CAS Teaching Load Policy

After considerable discussion with my colleagues in the Dean’s Office, and with Chairs, Interdisciplinary Program Directors and other administrators at Loyola, I’ve put together a CAS Teaching Load Policy that you can view at http://www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/cas/pdfs/CAS%20Teaching%20Load%20Policy.pdf . A lot of it regularizes what we’re already doing; some of it is new. And it gets the various teaching loads into one document.

I ask you to take particular note of the “Tenured Faculty Course Reduction Program for Research” and the “Liebentritt Faculty Development Opportunity for Lecturers.” In both cases, I’ve extended the deadline for applying to Feb. 1.

This is the policy we’ll apply for now, but I do welcome any comments you might have via this blog for future reference and possible adjustments.

• By Michelle Nickerson on 1.31.2013 at 4:13 pm

I think the policy description looks good. I am just concerned about the tensions between: 1. incentives/institutional demands for research and 2. departmental needs for teaching and service. We have what I perceive to be a structural problem within the university’s promotional system in that the university does not promote on the basis of how much or how well faculty teach and mentor, or how they contribute to the success of their department. I am still relatively new to this school, but I see a back-up of talented associate professors who would be full if their hard work as teachers, mentors, and administrators could get them promoted. Their good pedagogy and organizational skills are helping their departments hum along, while others secure coveted fellowships and complete their books, and move up the ranks.

• By Gipsy Escobar on 1.31.2013 at 4:30 pm

It is great to finally have a clear document stating the policy on teaching loads that we can consult, and this shows your commitment to protecting junior faculty’s time, which I think is paramount to our ability to produce the level of scholarship expected of us. My question is: has this been the policy all along or does this policy apply only to new hires? If the former is the case, and this has been CAS’s policy all along, can it be applied retroactively to junior faculty who had a teaching load of more than a 2-2 during their first 3 years and more than 2 classes on the teaching semester after mid-tenure review? Thanks!

• By Reinhard Andress on 2.2.2013 at 6:15 pm

To respond to the two comments thus far:

Michelle, we do, of course, take teaching etc. very much into account for tenure and promotion to associate professor. With regard to the further promotion to full professor, your point is well taken on the one hand. On the other, the argument would no doubt be that tenure-track hires come with research expectations that don’t stop after being tenured.

Gypsy, I’ve indicated to chairs that this policy can be applied retroactively. However, I would consider it only on a case-by-case basis. Chairs should be making those cases to me when they meet with me during the coming weeks for the annual evaluations of their departments.

• By Duarte Mota de Freitas on 2.7.2013 at 12:28 am

For large departments, at least, I wonder whether we should institute a one-course reduction for TT faculty who have UPD, GPD or Assistant Chair appointments. It will establish parity with the proposed one-course reduction for NTT faculty who occupy UPD positions.

As for counting courses, are classes that have 20+ students contribute the same as a class with say 100+ students toward the teaching load?