Summer Language Course (Part 2)

A couple of weeks ago, I had blogged with you about a summer language course (cf. below). There were 22 responses, which played out as follows (some responses included more than one language):

• Spanish: 12
  • Italian: 6
  • Chinese: 4
  • German: 4
  • Open: 3
  • French: 1
  • Latin: 1
  • Greek: 1

This is encouraging! Folks also seemed ok with the framework. So let me pursue this further. Meanwhile, if you’d still like to respond to my blog below, I’d be happy to hear from you.

Summer Language Course

As part of LUC’s efforts at internationalization, I’ve been thinking about a summer language course for faculty and staff. A framework might be four weeks in May/June with three two-hour meetings per week in the late afternoon. The course would provide communicative basics or function as a refresher, with a good dose of culture mixed in. Spanish would be a logical choice, given its global importance and increasing presence in our country, but we might also consider Italian because of the Rome Campus and Chinese because of the Bejing Center.

If you’re interested in this possibility, please respond to this blog or to Kathleen Andrade within a week at kandrad@luc.edu. Tell me what language you’re interested in and what you’d be willing to commit to in terms of time (including “homework”).

• By Rob Mayer on 11.9.2012 at 4:52 pm

I will Deutsch studieren. Ich brauche mehr Übung.

• By Peter Sanchez on 11.9.2012 at 5:07 pm

I would be interested in Italian.

• By Grace Scrimgeour on 11.12.2012 at 12:15 pm

Would this be available for adjunct teaching staff?