Q. I have combined two sections of my History course. I want to be able to separate the sections in the Grade Center. How can I do this?
A. Many instructors combine sections of the same course but wish to maintain separation of each section within the Grade Center. This is possible through two actions: 1) first creating a Blackboard Group for each section (please refer to our online tutorial Creating Student Groups ); and then, 2) creating a Grade Center Smart View for each group.
Let’s say you have combined two sections and have created a Blackboard Group for each section, Group1 and Group 2. You can look at each group individually within the Grade Center by creating two Smart Views, one for each group. To create a Smart View, do the following:
1. In your Grade Center, click on the Manage option.
2. Select Smart Views from the drop-down list.
3. A Smart Views page will open in which you should click on Add Smart View.
4. In the Add Smart View page, give the Smart View a name in the Name box, e.g., Group 1.
5. In the Selection Criteria area, choose “Group” for Type of View; for Select Criteria, make sure your User Criteria is set to “Group,” your Condition is set to “Equal to” and you have highlighted “Group 1″ in the Value field.
6. The Filter results should be set to All Columns (this is the default).
7. Click on Submit.
8. You will be taken back to the Smart View page and you will now see that Group 1 has been created as a Smart View.
9. Follow these same steps to create a Smart View for Group 2 but make sure that the name for this group is unique, e.g., Group 2 and that you highlight Group 2 in the Value field in the Selection Criteria when creating the Smart View for Group 2.
10. When you are back in the Grade Center you will see both Group 1 and Group 2 listing as Smart Views under the dropdown list for Current View. If you select the Smart View Group 1 you will see only the students from the Group 1. Alternatively, if you select the Smart View Group 2 only the students from Group 2 will appear.