Q. I added a duplicate column just to record grades for a quiz. But when I click a cell to record a grade, it turns dark gray and will not let me record the grade.
A. You have probably created the column via the Add Calculated Column choice rather than Add Grade Center column choice. Calculated Columns are designed to compute scores based on the values of other columns, e.g., calculating the average of five columns, or dropping the lowest score of a series of columns and then totaling the remaining columns. To check the type of column you have created:
- Click on the chevron icon beside the title of the column.
- Click on Modify Column.
- If you have a Select Columns option available to you in panel number 3 you have created a Calculated Column.
- Go back to your Grade Center.
- Find the mistakenly created calculated column.
- Click on the chevron icon.
- Choose Remove Column.
Check out this Creating a Grade Center Item video for instructions on how to create a column to manually enter grades.