Tips For Freshmen: LUC Residency Rules

I’m not going to pretend that I am a serious rebel or anything, but during my Freshmen year, I had a few run in’s with the law. The LUC law, that is. I made some pretty knuckle-head mistakes and I think the example of my criminal past can help you all dodge a few bullets.

17. THEY DIDN’T KNOW YOU WERE TROUBLE WHEN YOU WALKED IN

Please excuse my Taylor Swift allusion. They paid me to do it. Any who, back to the matter at hand.

Guest Policy
In first year dorms, having a guest is pretty simple. An overnight guest, however, involves a particular set of steps. If you don’t complete those steps, your guest will not be able to stay in the building. Now, I may have accidentally tried to sneak my sister in via a move-in cart once and got totally busted.

That could possibly be the reason why I want to hammer the following tip into your mind: Complete all the proper steps for visitors and don’t wait until the last minute. This could result in your arms being detained in metal cuffs. Not really. But you will get in trouble, so you guys get the point.

Quiet Hours
Quiet hours in the dorms are 11:00 pm to 8:00 am, Sunday through Thursday, and from 12 midnight through 8:00 am, Friday and Saturday. If you don’t abide by this policy, the RA’s will be there. I promise. They will come like a swift shadow of death in the night and not hesitate for a second to write you up. Just shut your traps when quiet hours hit, and you should be fine.

Student Conduct Meetings
If you happen not to listen to anything I am telling you, and you get yourself in trouble, you will most likely have to go to a student conduct hearing. I know, when I first heard the word ‘hearing’, I also immediately thought I would be face to face with the angry wrath of Father Garanzini and the Board of Directors or something. But, hearings are not as scary as you might think.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t follow the rules and avoid conduct hearings all together. You definitely should! However, if you get yourself in a pickle and must attend one, just make sure to be respectful and honest. The smoother you make the process, the more painless your sanctions (verdict/consequence). You could even end up with a simple university warning.

If you want full information on the rules and regulations of our fine University’s dorming, check out the Resident Handbook.

Hope you learned a little something!

Posted on by Jaela Hall Posted in Tips for Freshmen