Tips for Freshmen: Studying

6. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IT AT SOMETIME

I suppose I should apologize in advance, for I am about to talk about the most tragically feared part of college. Let’s face it, studying sucks sometimes. I was admittedly not the best at it last year. However, I hope you will listen to these few tips and avoid the tragedies I, myself, encountered as a Freshman.

Really, really try not to procrastinate

I understand that you would rather spend hours upon hours on Netflix or talking to that cute guy/girl down the hall. But, as hard as it may be, you will need to close the laptop, my friends, and (cue dramatic back round music) open a textbook. I know, terrifying.
Everyone knows that horrible heart wrenching, soul crushing state you take on when you must cram a month’s worth of work into one night before 8 AM the next morning when your the research paper is due. Or was that just me? Try these preparation tips to help you out.

Find out what works best for you.

From flashcards to dancing, exercising to word association, and complete silence versus creating a song, I have heard a lot of different approaches to studying. Everyone is different. There are many things you can do in order to study more efficiently. I personally like to hit up my friend Mozart when I need to buckle down. Figure out the technique that does the trick for you.

Two (or more) heads are better than one.

A group of people is a great tool to use when studying. It provides a sense of accountability and group members can assist you with sections you may be having trouble on. No one wants to be studying, so you might as well hate it with other people.

Honestly, studying isn’t that bad if you do the simple things that will make it a less stressful task. As long as you find a way to get it done, you won’t be that student that is kneeling in the hallway as they plead to the skies for mercy. Trust me, it’s not worth the embarrassment.

Hope you learned a little something!

Posted on by Jaela Hall Posted in Tips for Freshmen