Tips for Freshmen: Traveling in Chicago

3. IT WOULD MAKE SENSE FOR YOU TO GET TO KNOW THE CITY YOU LIVE IN

Well this one is quite embarrassing, but here goes. For you Chicago foreigners, this will hit right at home. Last year, I had to go downtown to volunteer with my volleyball team in Grant Park. You would think that I would at least know where that was right? I mean one of the biggest tourist attractions in the entire city? Well, you would be more than wrong on that one.

I traveled alone (also something extremely stupid that you should never do unless you are one of the Marvel superheroes). Somehow I got completely turned around in that foreign land and ended up walking around the streets of Chicago for about an hour…alone…in the cold…at four o’clock in the morning. So I did what any mature, capable, intelligent college student would do. I cried and called my mother.

Eventually, I found my way to where I needed to be, and got my ‘volunteer’ on. But all of this could have been avoided with a little research and a few questions. So study up my friends. Learn how to navigate the city. Or risk sobbing on the sidewalk by yourself in the wee hours of the morning in downtown Chicago.

Hope you learned a little something!

Posted on by Jaela Hall Posted in Tips for Freshmen